Tuesday, December 18, 2012

How? Why?

  Last Friday I heard about the tragedy of Sandy Hook Elementary School right before I went to the teacher's lounge for lunch.  As I joined the discussion in the teacher's lounge, I was truly in shock.  Unfortunately, it is not unfamiliar to hear of shootings in public places.  Just recently we have heard about shootings at a mall and a movie theater, but how could something like this happen in an elementary school?!?  I didn't understand how anyone could intentionally harm an innocent child, no taller than three feet.
  When lunch ended, I was still in shock, but I don't think it had quite settled in yet.  I did not say anything to my students, first of all, because I did not have all the facts and second of all, I honestly did not know how to tell them something like this.  At the end of the day, our principal asked us all to pray for those in Connecticut.  My students immediately turned to me with a confused look.  I told them to pray and I would explain it to them.  After the prayer, heads immediately turned my way, waiting for an explanation.  It was in that moment that all of this actually hit me.  I barely held it together as I told my 7th grade class that someone had entered an elementary school and killed approximately 26 people, a majority of them being around the age of 6.  My voice was shaking as I tried to answer any questions.  The hardest thing was seeing panic set in for one of my students who has cousins in Connecticut.
  I truly do not think I will ever forget the moment I told my class about this horrific incident.  It was hard to tell children that other children were murdered for no reason.  I felt as if I took away a piece of their innocence that day.
  As Monday rolled around, I was still having trouble grasping how something so terrible could happen.  I continuously pondered how I was going to approach this topic with my students.  I decided to initiate an open discussion.  I asked students to first share what they have heard about the incident and then to share any thoughts, opinions, or questions they may have.  It turned out to be a beneficial discussion and many of my students knew a lot about what had happened.  We had limited time to discuss the topic, but I did not want it to end there.  I decided to give my students the opportunity to reflect on what had happened through writing.  To get them started, I suggested they may write letters.  These letters could be written to the victims, the victims' families, the shooter, the shooter's family, or the teachers.  The students had powerful and thoughtful words to share.  Many expressed anger and confusion, while others wished the shooter to be forgiven by God because "everyone deserves to be forgiven."  The words of each student showed both their maturity and their innocence.  It also showed me how extremely lucky I am to be a teacher working with extraordinary children.
  My thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected in the tragic shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut.

No comments:

Post a Comment