Sunday, September 9, 2012

Word Nerd

I am obsessed with breaking words apart to help myself and students understand their meaning and make connections to other words they know.  My first year of teaching I had a "Piecing Together Meaning" word wall with roots, prefixes, and suffixes.  This year, I took the same idea and spiced it up with a little bit more color and a few more examples.  This board was Pinterest inspired by these two fellow Pinners.
Root Word Foldable
Word Nerd Wall
Thanks for the inspiration!


Illinois State Standards:
4b.  Use common, grade-appropriate Greek or Latin affixes and roots as clues to the meaning of a word.

Objectives:
Students will:
-identify words with their assigned root
-define identified words and connect the definition back to the meaning of the root

Assessment: 
Students were assessed on the connections they made from the root's meaning the definition of their identified words.  Students were also quizzed on the roots.

1 comment:

  1. I love this bulletin board!! Did you make it throughout the year or have it up and ready for the kids in September?

    ReplyDelete