Monday, November 19, 2012

Journey to the Center of the Earth

As the 6th graders learned about the layers of the Earth, I had them create a diary about their personal journey to the inner core.  I give them basic guidelines like how many entries and the required information.  From there, I encourage them to use their imagination.  I am always surprised at how much the students enjoy doing this project and I always love reading them.  I end up laughing out loud as I read them because they are so funny and creative.

Objectives:
Students will:

-describe how temperature and pressure change as depth of Earth increases
-sequence the layers of Earth
-describe characteristics of Earth’s layers
-compare and contrast lithosphere with asthenosphere
-compare and contrast outer core with inner core

Assessment:
Students were assessed based on the accuracy and completeness of their journals.  Creativity and neatness were also part of the grading rubric.


Here are the directions I give my students:  Diary Directions

Here are some of the final products:







No comments:

Post a Comment